If you found what you were looking for, please help the poor girl who maintains this blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Windows Vista + Virtual PC 2004

Question: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro onto a Dell XPS Gen2 Pentium M 2.26GHz with 2GB RAM and 256MB Video card with 100GB Drive.

I started up my copy of Vista that I created and it runs the processor at 100% which I gave it 1GB of RAM to play with. I'm basically running no other services on my XP Pro either. Any ideas? I've seen people say things about additions? Do i need to do something on this?

Answer:
OH on, you cannot do that. Vista cannot run as anything but its own OS. YOu cannot run it as a virtual machine in any other OS, MS specifically states that in their VISTA beta docs. It will NEVER work, because the vista access to hardware precludes any other OS from running at the same time. Witness the video card manipulation -- it will freeze every other OS solid when it does 64 bit graphics handling.

You MUST install vista on a clean drive or a clean partition, and there is no going back -- if you for example upgrade XP to vista you cannot later go back to XP. VISTA DEMANDS ITS OWN environment.

Install vista clean, and you wont have this problem. It is not doable as a task or VM under XP, sorry.

No comments: