If you found what you were looking for, please help the poor girl who maintains this blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Vista Boot Error (Post Installation)

Question:
Hi there, I received a copy of Windows Vista Business Edition through my university and have installed it on my computer. It took an awfully long time, and I had to take some various strange steps in order to get it to fully install. Now, after it installed, I have now been able to get Vista running. However, in order to get it past the boot screen, I have to press F8 for advanced options and select "Enable Debugging" which turns on the Kernel Debugger, otherwise it won't run. If I selected "Run normally" it restarts repeatedly and if I select "Do not restart on crash", then the following error occurs:

STOP: 0x000000D3 (0x82387560, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x818716C2)
The file "sptd.sys" has made part of its image pagable instead of nonpageable.

Is there anyway I can fix this issue? Obviously having to start the Kernel Debugger each time is not appropriate at all. I can't say that I fully explain the consequences I may cause by turning it on or why when it is on, the error does not occur. Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer.

Answer:
Daemon Tools really looks to be the cause of this.
Their FAQ/Forum pages are full of complaints with exactly your symptoms.

Removing it appears to be a bit of a chore, since it creates hidden folders and registry entries.

You can try uninstalling it, then searching your entire OS drive and registry for "sptd" and delete.

Good Luck!

No comments: