If you found what you were looking for, please help the poor girl who maintains this blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Windows Vista Ultimate and VPN Connections

Question:
I'm running Vista Ultimate RTM and I'm trying to VPN into a 2003 enviroment. Thos works great on an XP box that is on the same network as my vista box. I have tried this with the firewall off and on. I get an error is that the authicating protocal on the server could not be matched with my connection profile. I did nothing special on the xp box when I created the VPN connection and the same goes for the vista connection. Any ideas?
Answer:
>>"I have looked on the host server and routing and remote access has not been setup. There is something called incoming connection "
I suspect the VPN connection on the server has been set up using the "advanced connection wizard" rather than configuring RRAS (Routing and Remote Access). It names the connection "incoming connection" by default. I assume this would work, as this is how it is done on a workstation acting as the VPN server, but it is not the correct way for a server, and has very limited capabilities.
It may be that this method only supports MS-CHAP protocol, and therefore works with the XP client but not the Vista client. I do not know that for a fact.

If you wish to re-configure the VPN server, the following outlines the process in detail. You would first need to delete your existing "incoming connection".
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/w3k_vpn_server.htm

No comments: